So I happened to notice the past couple days that everyone has been tweeting #AliceBucketList, I was curious so I did some exploring. Alice is a 15 year old with terminal cancer, in her blog entries she discusses her bucket list and the things that she wants out of her life here on earth. It is so amazing to me and touches my heart to see someone so young stay positive when stricken with the absolute worst. Please check out Alice's Bucket List, it is very touching and a great example of courage, faith & good will.
One of the things that Alice requests on her Bucket List is for people everywhere to join the National Bone Marrow Registry. You can be the match for people like Alice, myself, and other amazing children, brothers, sisters, parent's, grandparent's, and friends. Being a bone marrow donor helps you give someone a chance for a bright and healthy future.
Thankfully, my only brother Hunter was my perfect bone marrow match (6 out of 6)! Although we fight like cats and dogs sometimes I would not be here unless it was for Hunter. It is a bond that we will share forever and I will be forever grateful for the sacrifice that Hunter made in order to save my life.
Many, many other people who touched my life throughout this journey received their transplants from total strangers, just like each of you. So if you have time and believe that you should make this commitment, the National Bone Marrow Registry is a great commitment that saves lives!
A huge thank you to Hunter, my wonderful parents who did everything they possibly could in order to get me well, all my wonderful friends and family, all the doctors and nurses and Duke Pediatric Stem Cell & Transplantation Unit, and all of the amazing patients that I met that touched my life and I will never forget any of you!
I hope that this was not a total Debbie Downer post. This is just a part of life that makes you who you are and I just wanted each of you to know the importance of becoming a bone marrow donor and saving lives!
"We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned for ourselves and live the life God has waiting for us!"
This is me in the hospital at Duke with my favorite nurse Chrystal. By the way, my shirt says "Bad Hair Day", ha cute huh?
Everyone be happy, tomorrow is Friday!!

No comments:
Post a Comment